Saturday, May 7, 2011

First Ride of the Year

Today was my first bike ride of the year. And boy was it memorable.

I wasn't even planning on going for a ride today - the thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I worked early and was off by 3:30. When I called home to check in with the Monkey (@crshaver), I found out he was trying to convince himself to get his bike down and take it for a ride. More power to him, I thought, and hung up.

And then I reconsidered. The weather was perfect, warm and not too windy. I had signed up for yet another RAGBRAI. I felt the lack of training last year during the ride. I really should get out there, I thought. It was near perfect conditions for a ride.

So I called him back, and told him to take my bike down too.

I don't think either of us planned on anything too lengthy for our first ride, so I took us about 7 miles out of town. (I wanted to check a distance for the rides I'm planning this summer.) We make it to what would be our turnaround and reluctantly decide to take the ride a bit farther.

That was probably our first mistake.

Not more than a half mile into our now longer ride does the Monkey's back tire blow out. This is the same tire he'd been having problems with last year when he put his bike up for the winter. The same tire that was completely flat when we aired up tires before leaving. The same tire that make all kinds of popping and hissing sounds as we aired it up.

And of course, we have no friends in the area. Nobody around that can bring him back. Even the bike shop that is only 2 miles from where he blew out was a no go - closing at 5, the time being 4:50.

So off I go on my bike to get my car to bring him and his busted bike home.

I take my phone with me, both of us joking that I should be careful. Don't want to blow a tire.

I'm making decent time back to our original turnaround point. And then I head West. (The entire ride home is West.) And what we thought was a headwind from the North turns out to be from the North WEST. Balls!

Still, I persevere. I make it to within 2 miles of home when I suddenly realize that the key to the house is in the Monkey's bike bag. Back with the Monkey. Bigger balls!

I call mom just to let her know how hopeless this bike ride has become. Her advice: you really should put one of those keyless entry pads on your garage. (Long story.)

And I'm off again, back the way I came to get the key.

After an additional 7 miles of riding I finally make it home and get the car to go pick up the Monkey.

Who says the first ride of the year isn't memorable?

21.64 miles in 1:28:16 riding time, average of 14.6 mph.

No comments: