Saturday, May 9, 2009

Rough Month - Spartan Life - Big Changes

The past month has been rough. I fell off the wagon of ambition I was riding high on since the beginning of the year. Workouts stopped. Diet crumbled. Blogging became sporadic (at best – I “blame” Twitter).

And to top it all off, the life of easy leisure I was living finally caught up to me in a big, bad way.

I’m broke.

The budget I had in my mind (not a good place for anything – especially something as important as this) wasn’t at all accurate. Between that fact, and my tendency to spend, spend, spend, the world I lived in (not the real world) crashed.

I’m not going to go into details, but with the help of my brother, a new – honest – budget has been created. A check from the BEST MOM IN THE WORLD helped with a slight (exaggeration) money issue, and now I’m back on track.

Only it’s a different track.

It’s a life of more responsibility (because I have to face it: I was NOT being responsible). Rampant spending is over. All unnecessary expenses must be cut. Free time must now involve additional work at second (maybe third) jobs to bring in the funds necessary to pay the bills. It’s a life-changing time.

A more Spartan life.

I have a ton of stuff. Literally. I probably have two thousand pounds of comics, movies, books, CD’s, toys, etc., sitting on shelves gathering dust. There is no need (and no money) to add to this collection.

Instead, I will work hard to fill the hole I dug.

I will do this by finding that lost ambition I used to power me through some tremendous health and wellness changes at the beginning of the year. I’ll resume the blogging to stay accountable for my actions. The entertainment component will still be a part of my life – there is no getting rid of it – but it will come out of the past, out of the collection of materials I’ve gathered and ignored over the past 10 years. Leisure and laziness must become things of the past. Work and effort and responsibility are the Pirate’s new tools.

No comments: