Friday, December 10, 2010

Furnace Problems

I came home last night to a frozen home. The furnace was no longer running, and it had dropped to 56 degrees inside. I'm just happy it wasn't any colder outside than it was, or who knows how cold it might have become inside.

I called to have the furnace looked at today, and they were able to fix it while I was at work. Turns out I had an "extremely dirty flame sensor" and a plugged vent tube on the inducer (whatever that is).

$37 for labor. $80 for a trip charge. And it cost me $124.02 after tax to have the heat restored to my home.


Still keeping the thermostat set at 63 degrees, but with the unseasonably warm day we had, I returned home to a house resting at a comfortable 66.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

The real reason is because the repair man turned it up to 69 degrees. I set it back down to 63.

Escape Pirate said...

Way to help me save money, Monkey.

Darryl Iorio said...

You can try doing the cleaning the sensor of your furnace by your own. But it's best that you call a pro to do it as the process of cleaning is kind of complicated; you have to remove the element before cleaning it using a steel wool or light grit sanding paper. Then, clean the wire ends on the flame sensors and the points they are connected to. Make sure the electrical power is off, and you can reinstall it exactly as how it is installed.


Darryl Iorio