Monday, January 10, 2011

Dumbass Move, Pirate

I'm not entirely convinced it was my fault. I think it was a glitch. Or a ghost.

There is no way I locked my keys in my car while it was running.

Except, I did.

This wouldn't have been such a problem - I have spare keys - only they are at home. Locked in the house with no one home. The brother that lives with me: in Florida. The closest spare home keys: with my mother. I'd call her, only my cell phone is in my bag. Locked in my car. And her phone number...I'm not 100% sure I remember it. (I never dial a number; I speed dial.)

My first reaction - after swearing and stomping around in the parking lot - was to punch in one of my windows. Break it with a rock or something other than my fist? Didn't even cross my mind. After deciding it would be more expensive and more of a hassle to replace the window, I chose not to break it - and my hand - in an attempt to unlock my car. I then had the ice scraper - the reason I got out of my running car in the first place - wedged into a crack of the door and was in the process of trying to pry it open when I decided that any further action on my part to open my locked car was going to result in more trouble than it was worth.

I went back inside work to try solve my locked door problem. (Beats standing in the snow storm outside.) With no real clue who to call - and here's where my brother will laugh his ass off because he's been telling me to get AAA ever since I bought my used piece-of-crap car - I had to stop and think this situation through.

After attempting to get ahold of my one local police contact with no such luck, I called my grandparents to get my mom's cell number. See, she has a key to my place. If I could just catch her before she heads home from work, she might be able to swing by and get me into my house so that I can get my spare car keys and unlock the door.

Only, I get her voicemail. And the kicker? She can't call me back because of my lack of cell phone and no direct line to my phone at work - everyone in the office had gone home to beat the snow storm outside, leaving all incoming calls routed through to voicemail.

After some more telephone work, I managed to get ahold of my spare house key, my extra car keys, and eventually made it home.

Needless to say, my night did not go as planned. Any drive I had to eat healthy, exercise, clean house, and do work evaporated. I'm writing the night off.

On my To Do list for Wednesday (the next night I have any free time): a AAA membership, a list of important phone numbers to keep in my wallet, and some research into keyless entry to my garage.

No comments: