Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 14 - The Girl Who Captured My Attention

After a marathon reading session today, I finished Stieg Larsson’s THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET’S NEST. I actually had to run out and buy this book the instant I finished the second one in the Millennium trilogy, THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE. The series is just that good. (And I’m glad for once that I was late to the series because then I didn’t have the wait between books to deal with.)

The series starts off with THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, which was a captivating mystery. Crusading journalist, Mikael Blomkvist, teams up with a strange and gifted researcher, Lisbeth Salander, to solve the mysterious disappearance of a young girl many years ago.

Picking up a short time later, THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE and THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST, comprise a two-book, 1,300-page-plus, epic story of conspiracy, murder, and government corruption. There was not a day that went by that I could put these two books down. The two books are packed with suspense, action, and intrigue. I’d mention specifics – plot, characters, action – but wouldn’t want to spoil the shock and surprise for any reader.

What? Not a reader? Then by all means check out the movie versions of these stories. The Swedish versions of the films have already been released overseas, but are (slowly) being released over here. I’ve seen the first (out on DVD and Blu-ray Tuesday, July 6th) and am eagerly anticipating the second as soon as it opens wide enough to find a screen around home. American versions of the films are in the process of being made as I write, out in a few years.

So, there are many opportunities available to you to find enjoyment in these fantastic stories. Granted, they are dark, violent, and complex, and they may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but if you enjoy a good mystery and love experiencing the good guys stomping down hard on the bad guys, then you can’t go wrong with these three thrillers from Sweden. It’s just a shame that the author is no longer alive to provide us with what happens next.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Seriously? Read the title of this day's blog. You teach kids how to spell?

Escape Pirate said...

Lay off. I've been writing these late a night (for me) and doing the best I can.