Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 16 - Making Lists

I spend a lot of time at work making lists. When I’m out in the garden center, especially on slow nights like tonight, there’s not much else to do. Without customer interruption, I can take care of all my responsibilities out there in about 15 minutes. That leaves me just under 5 hours to entertain myself.

And I do that by planning and making lists.

I plan out exercise routines, estimate weekly and daily weight loss goals, create to-do lists, calculate how much money I make each month down to each second. These lists I write down on receipt paper, or in the little notebook I carry around for work. Most of the time nothing comes of them, but it keeps me occupied and thinking. I do all this so that I’m not just standing around staring up at the clouds, although I do a lot of that too.

For all the little problems I have at work, there really isn’t a better paying job that allows me to simply stand around and think.

Oh, and tonight I had two awesome customer interactions.

1. Look, if I say I don’t know how to keep the birds from pooping on your deck, asking me again and again and again will still not get you the magic answer you are seeking. I’m a cashier, not a bird whisperer.

2. “Have I let Jesus into my heart?” Um, I’m just your cashier. Take your receipt and leave me alone. “Jesus is my personal best friend. I just love him so much.” Yes, okay. Good for you. “He makes me smile, smile, smile.” Lady, you are freaking me out.

And from last week:

Smell my fingers. This stuff really smell like garlic.” Dude, I wouldn’t smell your fingers even if they weren’t covered in poison. Seriously, a man repeatedly asked me to smell his fingers, waving them in front of my face, after spraying his hands with some animal repellent we sell in the store. Not cool, man. Not cool.

No comments: