Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 1 - Things Left Unfinished

Dig a hole.

I’d fallen into a bad habit of leaving things unfinished. Books stacked up, shows filled the DVR, dishes littered the counter, and goals were unfulfilled. I found myself…overwhelmed. I wanted things to change. I wanted a cleaner life. (I wanted to be happy.) It seemed to me that I’d dug the hole too deep. There was no escape.

And then I woke up this morning, not early like I’d planned, but suddenly motivated.

I’d received a text or a tweet from my brother, @crshaver, last night suggesting that I try 30 days of blogging to get me back in the habit of writing. Some combination of that challenge and my waking motivation resulted in progress today.

I finished the cleaning I started last week – the cleaning I’d put off for months. Seriously, months. It was disgusting. I was living in filth.

That simple thing done, a clean house, has left me feeling hopeful that all the other obstacles stacked up and in my way can be overcome. There is just something about uncluttered countertops, straightened piles of magazines, sparkling floors, and a lack of dust and cobwebs in the corners that eases my mind. I feel like I can do anything. I feel that I can:
  • Put in some training during these 32 days before RAGBRAI
  • Finally file that 3 year old stack of work-related documents
  • Eat less, better, more healthy foods to restart the weight loss needed
  • Begin running in anticipation of that marathon in January
  • Enjoy the summer before starting back to work full-time in August
  • Meet the challenge of blogging for the next 30 days straight
Dig a hole.
Fill it up.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Damn straight!

Tallulah Kidd said...

Congrats on the sudden motivation! I sometimes get in a rut and feel so helpless. Recently I have also become more inspired to clean up my life and pursue my passions and express myself. I recently wrote a blog about that as well. I feel even more inspired after reading yours! Good Luck I look forward to the 30 days of blogging.....I am going to hold you to it. Haha.

Escape Pirate said...

Three days so far. Though, day 2's post still makes little sense to me. I knew where I wanted to go with the thing, but the words came out all wrong and...I just don't think it's a very good post at all.