Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 4 - The Watch


People like my watch. I get compliments about it almost weekly. It’s nothing fancy, or too terribly expensive – a Fossil Arkitekt ME 1000 – but it does catch your eye, a silver thing of beauty. Something with a bit of heft to it. The left one-third of the face is open to the grinding gears inside, a small second hand spins a tiny circuit over the exposed cogs, the center of the face a circle of etched lines radiating out from the open chamber, and the only digits visible, a 12 and 6, occasionally masked by one small and one large blue hand.

Watches today seem almost obsolete. Everywhere you look you are confronted by the time in new ways. It appears on microwaves, ovens, coffeemakers, computers, iPods, DirecTV listings, etc. Even worse, cell phones. Why would a person even need a watch today?

It’s not a question of need, or even necessity. Watches are pure vanity.

And I couldn’t love them more for that fact.

I think everyone needs to have something superfluous and shiny.

I could very easily see myself – when excessively wealthy – purchasing an expensive, bulky, massive and shiny watch or two. Or ten. Just two that I’ve seen recently and think would look splendid on my wrist are the Rolex Oyster Perpetual Submariner Date in 18 KT White Gold ($29,850)


and the IWC Aquatimer Chornograph 3767 ($6,300).


Now those are a couple of watches I wouldn’t mind glancing at from time to time.

No comments: