Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Seventeenth Day of Christmas: Splurge

I just couldn't pass up this amazingly slick looking, over-sized art book at the comic book shop today. In its sleek black slipcase, with a gold foil Rocketeer etched on the front, it was simply too irresistible.

The Life & Art of Dave Stevens: Brush With Passion features over a hundred pages of art and stories. I don't know if even have a single comic drawn by Stevens, but his style - a puply, 50's pin-up girl blend - has surely influenced many of my favorite comic artists today. I know I loved the Rocketeer movie that came out in the early 90's, and this is my chance to see where that all came from.

I love art books, and interviews with artists. I'll never be as good - or even an eighth as good - but I love seeing sketches and reading about inspirations and influences. It makes me feel creative. And that's a wonderful feeling.

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to include a picture of The Rocketeer....

No comments: