Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Twentieth Day of Christmas: Cold Labor

I went to my uncle Jeff's house today to help split wood. I did this last winter and really enjoyed it. Today was no different. Sure, it's cold - today it started out around 28 degrees and ended up dropping to 8 by the time I left. The wind picked up and it was cold. But, I loved it.

There's just something about working hard when the conditions are so miserable that makes it feel like much more of an accomplishment. I wouldn't want to do it every day - probably why I don't live in the country - but for a day, I can't think of a better way to spend my time. I just enjoy helping out.

Although, I could do without the tiny wood shavings that seem to always blow into my eyes. They still feel a little rough, like there's grit in them. I'll blink it out I'm sure.

Oh, and I'm exhausted. We worked outside from sunup to sunset. I might try reading a bit, but I bet I just crash.

No comments: