Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration 2009

I'm not normally one who follows politics, or has any interest in watching "news-related" programming on TV. Today I did watch an hour - the important hour - of the Presidential Inauguration.

I don't believe I've ever heard Barack Obama speak (like I mentioned, I don't follow politics at all). He's a great public speaker, so much better than his predecessor. I was inspired by his speech (but then again, I'm easily inspired by well-crafted writing presented powerfully). It was hopeful and didn't ignore the problems we face as a country.

He mentioned a passage (from the bible?) about "giving up childish things" that sort of hit home for me. Do I focus too much of my attention on entertainment - something some would classify as childish and unnecessary - instead of more enlightened pursuits and practices? Could I be doing more with my time - and money - to help others and thereby myself?

Big questions for a entertainment pirate to ponder while nursing a worsening cold at bedtime on an extremely busy and stressing week.

I will say that I also enjoyed tremendously the performance by Yo Yo Ma, Itzak Perlman, Anthony McGill, and Gabriela Montero, of an arrangement by John Williams titled, "Air and Simple Gifts." The original poem, "Praise Song for the Day," read by author/poet Elizabeth Alexander, was also very good.

No comments: