Saturday, January 24, 2009

Spring Awakening

I went and saw the Tony award-winning musical, Spring Awakening, this afternoon at the Des Moines Civic Center. This was the second time in less than a year that I have enjoyed this musical. I first saw the show on Broadway in New York City over the summer, and thought it fantastic. The cast was great, the songs catchy, and the story had just the right mix of humor and tragedy to appeal to my tastes.

The national tour performance that I watched today was just about as great as my first experience with the show. The two main characters (Moritz and Melchoir) were played by the same actors from the Broadway show, and they were by far, the strongest singers in the cast. It's not that the others were bad - they were quite good, including the leading girl (Wendla) - but they just weren't as exciting in their supporting roles as the cast I saw in New York.

Still, this is one of my favorite musicals, and I'd happily see it again if I'm ever near another performance.

No comments: