Thursday, January 15, 2009

Smallville & Supernatural Return

Television shows are starting to return with new episodes. Tonight both Smallville and Supernatural returned with great new episodes. It was a very entertaining night of TV.

Smallville continued its trend of superheroics and comic bookiness that has done wonders for the show this season. Tonight's episode, "Legion," brought superheroes from the 31st century back in time to help Clark defeat Braniac. As a comic reader, and fan of the Legion of Superheroes, this was a real treat. The little nods to fans are a big part of the appeal of this show for me, and with the more heroic season, the show is soaring once again.

Supernatural came back with a horror episode. What I enjoy so much about this show is that it deftly mixes the horror, supernatural, and comedy so well. Tonight's episode had its jumps and scares and witty one-liners (including a nicely placed reference to the film Juno) - and was scary enough that I talked myself out of taking the walk down the driveway to get my empty trash can in the dark. So I'm a scaredy-cat, what of it.

Earlier in the week saw the conclusion of 24's 2-part season premiere - and I was correct in my statement that things would be slow-building. Four hours into the day, and things finally starting to get interesting. It just took the reappearance of some of the show's regular cast members, and the placement of Jack in a squeeze, for things to start exploding.

Tuesday and Wednesday saw the return of American Idol. I'm of a mind to start a weekly Idol report, but my great lack of musical knowledge - and available free time - could stand in the way. At this point in the season we are still stuck with the initial auditions (my least favorite part of the series), so I can't do much but hope for a good season.

Oh, and Battlestar Galactica's final episodes start tomorrow night at 9PM on the Sci Fi channel. I still have some catching up to do before I can start watching them, but hopefully I'll find some time this weekend to do just that. And if you are in the same boat, you can catch a mini-marathon of the first episodes of the final season all day long tomorrow on the Sci Fi channel.

No comments: