Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Finished On Writing

Finally finished (after what could be close to two years) Stephen King's On Writing. The book, part memoir and part advice for writers, was more than I hoped it could be. I expected to find some helpful advice, and more importantly, inspiration, and I was not disappointed. What I didn't foresee were the autobiographical parts - the entire first half of the book - and the life that shaped the writer King has become. His postscript, "On Living," was particularly moving. In this section he described his accident while out walking - an event fictionalized, to some degree, in the final volume of his Dark Tower series. Just as it did before (the aforementioned Dark Tower telling), the accident struck home with me in all the wrong ways, making make me angry, and sad.

But I digress...

I was - am - impressed with this book. It is one I know I'll reread from time to time, when the inspiration falters, or the toolbox need dusted off.

No comments: