Saturday, August 18, 2007

Comic Thoughts - Week of July 25, 2007

Short bursts of thought about comics I purchased and read the week of July 25, 2007. I have fallen so far behind that I am shortening my thoughts until I catch up on my new comics. I’ll simply rate the comics based on the writing and the art with the following scale:

Fantastic – Great – Good – Average – Mediocre – Poor

Grendel: Behold the Devil #0: A nice primer to the story of the Grendel, Hunter Rose. The issue comes with a 4 page interview of creator/writer/artist Matt Wagner detailing the history of Grendel.

Countdown #40: A one panel appearance of the new Question – yeah! This is a fairly strong issue with great writing and average art. Jason, Donna, “Bob,” and Ryan still search for Ray Palmer. Piper and Trickster receive sanctuary from the Penguin. Mary continues to be angry. And Jimmy saves the day as Mr. Action.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 #5: The issue reminds me why Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. Even in the comic book format Joss Whedon is a master storyteller. This is the best single issue of a comic this year – probably won’t be beat, either. It was perfect down to the last beautiful page.

Green Arrow: Year One #2: The origin rolls on. Spectacular art by Jock.
“I should run. Hide. But that was the old Oliver Queen. That’s not who I am anymore. I’m a hunter. …And now I’m pissed.”
Wonder Woman #11: Pretty art as the Amazons continue to attack. A nice cliffhanger with a full page splash of Athena, goddess of wisdom and war.

Hawkgirl #66: A fitting end to a series that started out as Hawkman before changing guard. Still a big fan of the Hawks, I will continue to follow their adventures in the pages of the JSA and JLA comics.

All Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder #6:
Writing – Great
Art – Great

Blue Beetle #17:
Writing – Great
Art – Great

Batman #666:
Writing – Good
Art – Good

The Mighty Avengers #4:
Writing – Good
Art – Great

The Incredible Hulk #108:
Writing – Average
Art – Average

The Immortal Iron Fist #7:
Writing – Fantastic
Art – Great

No comments: