Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Simply Stunning Music: 2 Reviews -
Little Voice by Sara Bareilles

One Cell in the Sea by A Fine Frenzy

Little Voice by Sara Bareilles
I can’t even recall where I first heard about Sara Bareilles, but I do know that I’m tremendously grateful to have made this wonderful discovery. With a voice that blends a little Joss Stone, Leah Andreone, Fiona Apple, and Sarah McLachlan, Sara Bareilles is an amalgamation of many of my favorite female vocalists. There is not a bad song on the entire CD. Little Voice is anything but that, and one of the best albums of this year.

Solid Tracks: “Love Song” – “Vegas” – “One Sweet Love” – “Morningside” – “Many the Miles” – “Fairytale”
---
One Cell in the Sea by A Fine Frenzy
I’m in love. I have a major crush on Alison Sudol – the redheaded force behind the Frenzy. I think it was all over for me when I first heard her voice and marveled at her skills on the piano. It probably helps that she can write a catchy song, too. One Cell in the Sea is my favorite album by a female vocalist this year (just beating out Sara Bareilles’s Little Voice by a fraction of a fraction of an inch). I enjoy the album so much that it played daily multiple times while riding on RAGBRAI, and still holds sway over my CD player in the car.

And the best part? I’m to see A Fine Frenzy perform live in Kansas City on Thursday, August 9, 2007! This is a concert I cannot wait to see. There will be more on this later.

Solid Tracks: “Come On, Come Out” – “You Picked Me”“Rangers”“Almost Lover” – “Liar, Liar” – “Hope for the Hopeless”

8 comments:

Midnight Sprinter said...

Any interest in the Sept 9th Aaron Lewis accoutstic set in CR at the Paramount Theatre?

Escape Pirate said...

It's still a little ways out there. I'd know more when it got closer to the date of the concert. I'm sure it would be great, though.

Midnight Sprinter said...

It's assigned seating so I would need a lil bit of a heads up if you want somewhat decent seats (I'm thinking 1st level or Loge if you look at the seating chart).

Escape Pirate said...

I can probably let you know by the end of the weekend. I'm hitting a lot of concerts over the next couple of days and it'll all just depend on money and such.

Midnight Sprinter said...

But at least the Nadas are a free concert!

Escape Pirate said...

That's true, they are.

You are planning on seeing the Nada's Friday night, correct?

Would you like to ride together - take one car?

Midnight Sprinter said...

I will have to call you when we get into town. It will depend when we get out of the IC. The concerts are at 7:00 and 9:00. If we get out of town late, then we might have to meet you at a Park 'n Ride stop.

Escape Pirate said...

Sounds fine to me. I'll be getting back from KC sometime in the afternoon, and I might try hit a movie, so we'll just have to play it all by ear.