Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Quick Reviews - Movie Catch Up

The Simpsons
What’s it say when the one character who doesn’t talk has the best lines in the movie? I really didn’t enjoy this big screen version of one of TV’s funniest families. The movie felt like nothing more than an overlong, under-funny TV episode. The baby Maggie did steal the show every scene she was in. I wouldn’t recommend this movie for viewing in the theater – wait for it to run on TV for free.
---
The Bourne Ultimatum
A fantastically made action film. There isn’t but a moment or two where Jason Bourne isn’t running or fighting for his life. I really enjoyed how this third movie reflected so much of the first movie. It felt like the story was brought full circle – with everything neatly tied up. I’m still going to have to give Live Free or Die Hard the nod for best summer action flick, but the two movies are very different. Just as Transformers is different, but still an amazing summer film.

Also, I want to note the score for this movie by John Powell. It’s amazing and well worth a listen.
---
Hot Rod
Moronic, but quite funny in more than a few parts. I mean, the whole point of the movie is Rod raising money to fight his dying step-dad in an attempt to gain his respect. The influence of the 80’s is heavy in this film. You’ve been warned. It’s a bit like Napoleon Dynamite doing stunts (and failing horribly at them). I would recommend this for a mindless diversion at the theater. It helps that Isla Fisher (Wedding Crashers, The Lookout)is hot and Ian McShane (Deadwood) is totally cool.
“What the hell! Is that a throwing star?”
Oh Rod, you are so boned.
---
Stardust
I was happy to find that I enjoyed this movie. I really liked the novel it was based on and hoped the movie would live up my expectations. Where the movie was most magical was in those moments that it remained truest to the original novel. The problem with adaptations – even the best of the lot – is that they invariably alter or omit some part of the original story. And if you loved the story – and in this case I did - you feel for those missing parts. All in all, this is a very good, straightforward fantasy flick.

2 comments:

Midnight Sprinter said...

I liked the Simpsons for what it was. I would have to say that I would rather watch it again then anything Will Farrell has put out (where he is the protaganist).

Escape Pirate said...

Stranger Than Fiction starring Will Farrell is an amazing movie. If you haven't seen it, put aside your hatred, and rent it. It is amazing. Seriously.