Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Coolest Computer Program EVER

I found what has to be the coolest program I’ve ever run on a computer. The program, Delicious Library, allows me to catalog all the books, movies, music, and games I own by simply scanning their barcodes using the built-in webcam on my MacBook. The program then pulls – from a partnership of sorts with Amazon.com – all the information like: artwork, release date, stars, genres, ratings, running time, retail price, current value, Amazon customer ratings, summaries, and much, much more. This connection with Amazon provides recommendations of similar materials you might enjoy, while also allowing you to buy and sell items through Amazon with the click of a button. It’s an amazing example of synergy and only ran me $40 (I didn't cough up the extra $180 for a Bluetooth barcode reader - even though it would be really cool to have one).
I’ve only just begun playing around with the program, but it seems to be working real well and is a ton of fun. Check out the website to learn more about the coolness I’m enjoying. You poor, poor, PC-users.

5 comments:

Midnight Sprinter said...

I hate the word "synergy", stupid stupid business word. The program looks cool though.

Escape Pirate said...

Synergy was the only word I could come up with to accurately describe what was going on. Sorry.

I just figured out how to put various wallpapers on my desktop. I've got some very cool images that cycle randomly every minute. it's very awesome. Computers rule!

Ryan said...

It's the sweetest thing EVER!!! So what, I'm supposed to go out and buy a Mac just to have this program?!? (maybe I will...)

I would love to have something like this, but I don't have a big enough library for it to be really handy. You on the other hand have more than enough comics to kill the rain forest twice. It sure would make selling them a lot easier for me when you're out of town. At least I would know what you have in the mountain-o-boxes.

Escape Pirate said...

The program only allows for four categoris: books, movies, music, and video games. So, no single issue comics will scan in. However, the collected comics (TPB, GN, HC) - they all scan.

And while I do have a ton of collections, I still have thousands of single issue comics. It's a start, though.

Anonymous said...

Thought I'll just mention this... For "poor poor PC users", you can check out Libra:

http://www.getlibra.com/

It's equally slick, and doesn't cost a penny. Supports the import of LibraryThing/Delicious as well.