Monday, July 2, 2007

Prime is King!
Transformers Review

I went into this movie without high expectations – a rarity for me. Ever since the first advertisement, I was a bit disappointed by the Transformers’ look. There were too many pieces. They looked too much like walking scrap metal. There was not enough of the “robots in disguise” I knew, and loved, from my childhood. I went into the movie with the expectation that I would not enjoy what I saw.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Optimus Prime is king! Transformers is a mind-blowing, head-spinning, blockbuster success. I won't be able to say enough good things about this movie. Who’da thunk it? A movie based on an 80’s cartoon in which vehicles – and even dinosaurs – turned into robots…please.

Which begs the question: How in Zeus’ buttcrack did they pull this one off?! The movie was – in a word – frantic. The characters ran around as if fueled by liquid crack. The special effects were so impressive that you eventually just gave up the notion that these robots were not real. And to top it all off, the movie is hilarious. I was initially a bit concerned about the humor I saw in a couple of clips on TV, but man was I wrong. The humor fit and gave the movie a second level to enjoy.

It was just a few days ago that I was shoveling praise on Live Free or Die Hard. Taking nothing away from Live Free, I have to – with all the tiny power of this blog – deliver a heap of praise on Transformers, as well. The movie is flat out a-maze-ing!

Spidey, who? Pirates of what? All hail Transformers! Go. See. It.

4 comments:

Midnight Sprinter said...

I'm not Nicolas Cage or anything but I believe it was "Zeus' butthole" not his crack... just sayin'.

What then do you have to say to rebut the NYT article other than Transformers is a summer popcorn eyecandy extravaganza? Do you think it's b/c you had no expectations? The NYT struck me as a bit hotty-totty... one of those: films need to be beautiful and full of meaning.

I don't know what the hell we're going to do for 3-5 days if you've seen everything. Punk.

Ryan said...

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!

-Jerk

Ryan said...

Really though, it always looked like an action-packed extraveganza of Autobot butt-kickin' sweetness. I'm just glad you liked it.

ComputerChick said...

I'm sure this film wasn't the first on my list of "must sees" but I must have been in the mood for "entertainment". I could tell the movie was going to be a hit with the audience before the previews were over. Let's just say the theater was filled with the under 20 crowd and they couldn't get enough of the special effects and action packed robot fight scenes. This has to be seen on the big screen for full effect.