Wednesday, July 25, 2007

New Comics - July 25, 2007


Cover of the Week:
The Immortal Iron Fist #7
by Travel Foreman
Marvel Comics

I love the colors of this cover – the pinks and greens and yellows stand out against the other covers this week. There’s a real “art nouveau” feeling to the cover that I really dig. Everything about this cover seems to work, from the sword pointed directly at the reader, to the introduction of a mysterious woman Iron Fist.

This is a weekly list of the new comics I picked up at my local comic book shop, Mayhem Comics.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 #5
Countdown #40
Green Arrow: Year One #2
All Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder #6
Batman #666
Wonder Woman #11
Hawkgirl #66
Blue Beetle #17
The Incredible Hulk #108
The Immortal Iron Fist #7
The Mighty Avengers #4
Grendel: Behold the Devil #0

X-Men: Deadly Genesis (TPB)
Martian Manhunter: The Others Among Us (TPB)

Watch for thoughts or quick reviews when a comic requires the extra attention.

8 comments:

Midnight Sprinter said...

What exactly is "art nouveau"? What makes it new? Is that later than or earlier than "mod" art?

Escape Pirate said...

Art Nouveau is a "style characterized by a lack of straight lines and an emphasis on fluid movement within compositions." This movement came into popularity in Europe in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The art and design seem to heavily incorporate flowers and frames and shadows. My favorite of the nouveau artists is Alphonse Maria Mucha. I see a lot of art nouveau influence in the work of Tony Harris (Starman,Ex Machina), one of my all-time favorite comic book artists.

This would make it earlier than "mod" art, but newer than old art. Clear as mud?

Midnight Sprinter said...

What are you? Some sort of artsy beatnik now?

Escape Pirate said...

Now? I've always liked art. I still know very little about it, but I remember a lot more from my one Art History class at Iowa than I do of any of my business classes. So there is that.

David said...

I cannot tell you how much I look forward to reading the inevitable geek pissing when there's a 'new comic' posting.

Escape Pirate said...

Oh wow. Geek? Nice.

Ryan said...

I like that. Geek Pissing. I wonder if he's talking about you or Neal. (probably both)

"...I must tear off his fleshy testicles..." -Jennifer

Escape Pirate said...

That's a bad monkey, Jennifer! You play nice with all the boys and girls.