Friday, July 20, 2007

Midnight for Harry Potter
Updated July 21, 2007 2:13 AM

The release of the seventh and final Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is tonight at midnight – okay, technically, Saturday at 12:01 AM.

To my knowledge, this is the largest release of any book in my lifetime.

I think I need to be at a bookstore at 12:01 AM to pick up my copy – actually, two copies. I need one copy to take on RAGBRAI and one to stay at home in good condition. Normally I’m not so particular about things like this…heck, who am I kidding? Yes I am. I just hate to have my books damaged in any way. So yeah, two copies for me.

I came late to the whole Harry Potter phenomenon. It took a pretty girl in one of my business classes at Iowa to finally get me to pick up the first three books. Since that moment, I’ve really enjoyed the series of books and movies.

Like nearly everyone else in the world, I’m anxious to see how things all end for Harry and the gang. Taking the book on RAGBRAI will give me the added incentive to make it through the day as quickly as possible so that I can grab up my copy of the book and relax until bedtime reading the conclusion of the boy-wizard’s epic saga.

Updated July 21, 2007 2:13 AM
I did manage to get my two copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows from the Borders in Des Moines. I definitely didn't need to show up before midnight. And since I didn't pre-order, I could have even waited until 1 to show. The line was so long that I didn't pick up my copies of the book until 1:15 AM. Oh well, I just grabbed a book - Over Stone, Under Sea by Susan Cooper - and sat down with a chai latte and read until it was time for me to get in line.

I did read the first paragraph and two lines of dialogue as soon as I reached my car. I can't believe how excited I am.

Snape: bad man or loyal?

Who needs sleep this morning?

No comments: