Monday, July 16, 2007

The Stacks - July 16, 2007

The Stacks, a weekly list of all I’m currently reading, or watching on DVD. New materials added are underlined.

Books:
Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment by James Patterson
The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe
The Dark Tower (Dark Tower book 7) by Stephen King
Nightwatch by Sergei Lukayaneko
On Writing by Stephen King
Rant by Chuck Palahniuk
No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July
Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman
Tumble Home: A Novella and Short Stories by Amy Hempel
Pretty Little Mistakes by Heather McElhatton

Magazines:
Paste issue 32, June 2007

DVDs:
The X-Files: Season 6 (TV series)
Eureka: Season 1 (TV series)
Weeds: Season 1 (TV series)
Deadwood: Season 3 (TV series)
Futurama: Season 2 (TV series)
Black Snake Moan

Comics:
Blood: A Tale (TPB)
The Other Side (GN)
Beyond! (TPB)
Pearls Before Swine: Lions and Tigers and Crocs, Oh My! by Stephan Pastis (Treasury)
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel (GN)

Look for reviews/thoughts of selected materials from The Stacks…when I finish something. Anything.

4 comments:

Midnight Sprinter said...

I went to Barnes & Noble yesterday to pick up Blueprint for Action by Thomas Barnett. I was reading a copy lent to me by a friend, however I like to make notes in nonfiction books as sort of a streaming bibliography for later use. I started to like the book (you should look into it if you want to learn more about the world, military, war on terror, etc. He talks to the reader in a very easy to follow and conversational tone for a Harvard and Yale grad) so I went to purchase my own, besides it was my birthday damnit!

Long story not so short I get back to "current events" and no book. I ask the info desk many minutes and three books in my arms later. Barnett's book is in the baragain area (hardcover) for $6. I could have walked out of B&N with the hardcover book I wanted and my Fiji water for a cool $9 - which I had in cash. Instead I charged $45 dollars and added 3 more books to my Stacks. (I couldn't actually start to have more books in my read pile than unread right?)

Added to my stacks:

Jihad: the Trail of Political Islam by Gilles Kepel
The Crisis of Islam by Bernard Lewis
Persian Fire: The First World Empire and the Battle for the West by Tom Holland

Escape Pirate said...

You make this sound like it's supposed to shock me. But it doesn't. I am constantly going to the book store with a single book in mind only to walk out with a $100's worth of reading material. Ah...books.

I have read quite a few articles by Barnett - he was a regular contributor to Esquire magazine a couple years back (and may still be, but I'm so far behind I don't know). They were very easy to follow and seemed to make quite a bit of sense to me.

Midnight Sprinter said...

Shock and awe baby, shock and awe...

I believe he still does contribute (at least as of when he wrote Blueprint in 2005) to Esquire magazine.

At least if you try to pick this up it'll only cost you $5.98

Escape Pirate said...

I'll look for it the next time I'm at the bookstore - like Friday.