Monday, July 2, 2007

Movie Reviews - Paris, je t'aime &
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

These movie reviews were lost in the shuffle around my vacation to Wisconsin. As much as I enjoyed them, I felt required say something - better late than never - about them.
---
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
I decided that since they had lowered the rating from the first Fantastic Four movie down to a PG, I should see this movie as I would have when I was a little kid. I bought a popcorn and a large Blue Raspberry Icee. I sat with my sandals kicked off and slurped my Icee until my lips turned blue, literally.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer was an entertaining superhero movie. I think I even enjoyed it more than I did Spiderman 3. This movie had focus. While the story was pure popcorn fluff, you didn’t feel like you were being short-changed of any of the action on screen. My big complaint with Spidey was that there was not enough time for Sandman, or for Venom. Both were very interesting villains with good stories, but I wanted more from each of them.

The great: No wasted time in the story – it’s a short, full, 1 hour 30 minute explosion of comic-y goodness. Jessica Alba as Sue Storm finally had a blonde hair that was more believable to me. The Surfer was a great special effect and very believable as a character – motion-captured by Doug Jones and voiced by Laurence Fishburne. The Hemi-power Dodge-branded Fantasticar was a pretty sweet ride.

The not-so: What’s up with the massive amount of blue-eyeliner Alba wears?! Galactus as a giant storm cloud? Even though it fits with his Ultimate universe appearance, I was kind of hoping for the big dude with the funky purple helmet. There was a bit too much slap-sticky humor – even though I realize they are simply trying to make the movie more entertaining for younger children.

Overall: If you are in the mood for a quick superhero story with great special effects, then this is your flick. I really enjoyed the movie and it stands up well with its blockbuster summer competition.
---
Paris, je t’aime
I saw this movie the same day I saw Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. In keeping with the same attitude, I decided to enjoy this movie with a Coke and a Toblerone candy bar – just as I might if I was really in Paris.

Paris, je t’aime (Paris, I love you) is essentially a love story to the city of Paris, France. Presented in 18 segments, and written and directed by a varied group of filmmakers, Paris, je t’aime is an art-y, entertaining success. I don’t know if I enjoyed this movie so much more because I had been to Paris before, but I like to think that even if I hadn’t been, I still would have been captivated by the city and these stories.

I found the following segments to be the most enjoyable: “Montmartes” by Bruno Podalydes; “Tuileries” by Joel and Ethan Coen; “Pere-Lachaise” by Wes Craven; and “Quartier de la Madeleine” by Vincenzo Natali. The segments ranged in stories from finding a parking space and love to vampires to the importance of tourists minding their own business while waiting for the Metro.

This is an art-y movie. And some of segments are a little out there. The reaction from the old lady next to me in the theater at the end of “Quartier de la Madeleine,” which featured vampires and was shot in a Sin City noir-style, was hilarious: “That’s the worst thing I’ve seen.” It just shows that not every segment will appeal to every person. But with 18 segments and 18 different views of such an engaging city, you are sure to find something to enjoy. I did.

2 comments:

Midnight Sprinter said...

When we saw Lethal Weapon 4 in Tours you didn't buy a Tolberone. You may have purchased popcorn I can't remember back 10 years, but I know it wasn't some Euro-confection. I do remember that they didn't put any ice in our Cokes. (Perhaps yours was a coke lite?)

Paris, je t'aime sounds interesting. I will have to check it out before we go in October so we know what to expect. I haven't been in years and if vampires are roaming around I should find that out. I will be staying in Monmartes, so hopefully the vamps stay away (well the blood sucking ones, right?!)

Escape Pirate said...

The only problem I noticed - from the movie - near Monmartes was the lack of parking. The vamps stayed in the Quartier de la Madeleine.

And yeah, I know I didn't have that exact snack at Leathal Weapon 4...I was just trying to think of French-like things to snack on.