Friday, July 13, 2007

Pretty Little Mistakes Review

I first learned about Pretty Little Mistakes by Heather McElhatton on the Pop Candy blog. I do remember seeing the book at Borders a couple of weeks ago, but I ignored it because it looked chick-y. I mean, it was billed as a “Do-Over Novel.” What was I supposed to think? Turns out the whole “Do-Over” aspect of the book is another way of saying: "choose-your-own-adventure."

And holy Moses! I love “choose-your-own-adventure” books. I have tremendously fond memories of checking out Indiana Jones choose-your-own-adventure books from the library when I was a kid. Along with monster movie books, those Indiana Jones adventures were my continual library companions.

Pretty Little Mistakes is a novel written in second-person point-of-view. The story begins as you graduate high school and are forced to decide whether or not to go to college, or to travel abroad. From there, the possibilities are endless – in fact, there are 150 endings that develop from this singular beginning. Written in short, crisp and descriptive sentences, the one or two page sections move the storyline quickly along.

Having read through one complete life, I can tell you already that this is an addictive book. I went to college, became an art major and anarchist, was a victim of rape, testified in court, and then died of a heart attack while on the witness stand.
"You go to heaven through a silver stream of light and you enter a small sunny courtroom filled with case files. Tall walls lined with leather editions wait for you, and a round-the-clock butler routinely brings you coffee and cream in small porcelain teacups. You spend the rest of eternity looking up the reasons why some children are born with cancer, why humans hurt each other, where the Mayans went. It is all before you, in bound edition after bound edition. The answers."
Impressive writing for what could be considered a cheesy idea.

It was a brief life – about 20 minutes of reading – but not my only life. I am anxious to try again, to see where a different choice might lead. This might be the ultimate summer reading experience. A different – quick – and entertaining story with each read, that will keep you busy for hours as you explore the multitude of choice that exists in life – even fictional life.

No comments: