Sunday, June 24, 2007

Comic Thoughts - Week of June 20, 2007
(Part I)

Short bursts of thought about comics I purchased and read the week of June 20, 2007.

Justice League of America #10: They did it! And I don’t care if this spoils the conclusion of “The Lightning Saga” for you – they brought back Wally West, THE FLASH. My Flash is back. Whoo!

Countdown #45: The big fight between Donna Troy and Forerunner was nothing more than your typical comic book brawl. Where this issue worked was Jimmy Olsen’s rambling history of the New Gods, and the last panel reappearance of Monarch – a one-time big bad whose armor is being sported by the recently put-upon Captain Atom. What his plans are, we don’t know. What potential he sees in the disgraced Forerunner, we don’t know. Is he a force for good or evil? Can’t wait to find out. Next week’s cover: Monarch in all his bad-ass glory.

Checkmate #15: Some horrific torture, some diplomatic problem-solving, and some superhero smashing. All this and the surprising guest-appearance of a former leader of The Outsiders – another great issue in a series of great issues. It looks like this current storyline/crossover ends in the next issue of The Outsiders.

The Flash #13: Son of a… What a week to be a Flash fan. Wally comes back, but they kill Bart?! I can’t write anything but the words from the final page – a fitting (but hopefully not permanent – comic’s revolving door of death, please) end for the Flash, Bart Allen:

“My name is Bart Allen. I’m the fastest man alive. End of the day you only need to know two things about me. I run fast…and I help people.”

*sob*

Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis #53: Fantasy novelist Tad Williams continues his strong run on Aquaman. The stories are engaging, the mysteries deepening. All this plus some spectacularly drawn pages by Shawn McManus make Aquaman a winner.

The Brave and the Bold #4: This issue was placed in my pull pile (the set of comics put aside for me each week at the comic shop) by accident. While I like the idea of teaming up random characters in the DC Universe, this series isn’t working for me. I tried the first issue and was unimpressed. This issue was more of the same convoluted story and uninteresting art. It’s just not one for me.

(Continued in Part II)

No comments: