Wednesday, June 6, 2007

New Comics - June 6, 2007


Cover of the Week:
Nightwing #133 by Ryan Sook

I've been a fan of Sook since his run on The Spectre years ago. He rarely disappoints with his moody, shawdow-heavy art. I particularly enjoy the reflections of Nightwing's previous costumes.

This is a weekly list of the new comics I picked up at my local comic book shop, Mayhem Comics.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Eight #4
Birds of Prey #107
Countdown #47
Nightwing #133
Justice Society of America #6
Justice League Unlimited #34
Outsiders #48
Detective Comics #833
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #5
Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness #4

Watch for quick reviews or comments when a comic requires the extra attention.

6 comments:

Midnight Sprinter said...

Have you read or read anything on the Eternals series by Gaiman? I saw it as a graphic novel collection the other day at Prairie Lights but didn't know if it was worth the money. I liked the 1602 series.

You make it sound like Mayhem is just a hop, skip, and a jump from your house. I believe that is the smell of mendacity in the air, Mr. Shaver.

Escape Pirate said...

Yeah, the Eternals are a group of older, sort of forgotten characters Marvel had sitting around. I read the first issue and it was good. I figured I could just wait until it was collected to purchase it. It reads like everything else by Gaiman.

This series is a little more superheroic than 1602, but I think you'll still like it fine.

Mendacity. I looked it up: lying. I should just change my name to Mendacity. It describes me perfectly.

Midnight Sprinter said...

The "smell of mendacity in the air" line is from the Tennessee Williams play Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Mendacious the Great Pirate Cpt...

I almost picked up some of the Starman graphic novels, but the drawing annoyed me.

Escape Pirate said...

Oh no you didn't! You passed up Starman? You know what? My brother said the same thing about the art. I honestly don't understand. The art is great, not annoying.

For this insult to my 2nd favorite comic series, you shall be getting your very own copy in the mail. Email me your address and you shall get your just dessert.

Ryan said...

I'm going to have to agree with Neal here. Starman art eats donkey for dinner.

I liked 1602.

Escape Pirate said...

There will be no more Starman hating...at least until you have read it. Don't be so rash and jump to conclusions - only donkeys do that.