Tuesday, June 5, 2007

My Biking Ambition

I have six and a half weeks until RAGBRAI - the 500 mile bike ride across Iowa. I am currently sitting at a little under 400 miles for the year. It would be nice if I could get 1,000 miles in before the ride begins. It's ambitious, I know, but possible.

If I could manage 150 miles per week, I'd hit my goal, no problem. This sounds like quite a bit, but it's really only 5 days of 30 miles each week. I could even break it up into two seperate rides of 15 miles each. And riding at about 16 mph, this would mean less than 2 hours a day. We'll see how things shape up...like my calves and thighs. Ha!

When did I do all this planning? Why, on my 30 mile ride today, of course! It was a good day for a ride, temps in the 70's and mild winds from the North. I pushed it hard, averaging 16.5 mph for the full 30 miles. I took a couple of short breaks to get a drink and wiggle my toes - they get numb. It's funny how a good ride gets you thinking about pushing yourself a bit further, like reaching for a full 1,000 miles of training when they say (and past experience has shown) that 500 or 600 miles does you just fine.

4 comments:

Midnight Sprinter said...

How will you ride 30 miles in the rain?

Escape Pirate said...

It's easy really - just wet. However, it's not very comfortable.

Why, just this morning I planned on a ride only to have it rained out. I'll just have to make up the miles later, once it clears up.

Ryan said...

Good luck! I've been around you when you get the "bike fever." But I've also been around you when you get the "candy, pop, and bacon/eggs fever."

To Habibi: Remember you're talking to a Pirate. Pirates will do anything they want, rain or shine!!!

Escape Pirate said...

I am a pirate, and I will do whatever I need to do.