Monday, June 25, 2007

Wisconsin Vacation (Part IV)

(Continued from Part III)

ON PLAYING GAMES –
Disc golf is not my strong suit. In my first game I managed to lose my disc in the woods. It being green and blending into the surroundings didn’t help much. And the kicker? I was doing well that game before I misplaced the disc. Also, to add insult to the injury: I was injured looking for the stupid thing. I was climbing around on the steep incline in my blasted sandals when I slipped and landed on my arm. Only a small scrape and a little blood, but it sure did ache like a wicked bruise for the rest of the vacation. I did play a few more rounds later in the week, but my scores were nothing worth writing about – i.e. they were bad. (Joe did later find the disc – it is his favorite to use, and use he can; he’s a great shot.)


Cards ended up being a wash for me. The first night we played poker for money I came out $5.25 ahead. The second night – say ta ta to $5.00. Overall I was the winner of a cool quarter dollar. But it’s not for the money I play cards. We – Stacey, Steve, Grandpa, and I – had a blast just staying up late and throwing around the cards. We also played “Pitch” and “Up and Down the River.” It was said that we were just a wee bit loud the first night, but that’s cards, grandma.

With Colby, Justin, and Beth, I played a card game I picked up a couple of years ago called, “Spank the Monkey.” We had a lot of fun with this game. The gist of the game is this: A monkey is messing around in a junkyard. The players use Junk cards to build a tower in order to reach the monkey – and spank it. You can reinforce your tower and attack your opponents’ towers. First person to spank the monkey wins the game. Turns out, Colby is a pretty good monkey spanker. (Definitely one of the weirdest sentences written on this blog – and one not to be taken out of context.) Sorry, Colby.

ON MY BIRTHDAY/FATHER'S DAY –
It was my birthday, and Father’s Day, that Sunday of vacation, June 17. I not so subtly reminded everyone of this fact, and even managed to get a cake out of the deal. There was a marble cake with chocolate frosting for my birthday, and a white cake with white frosting for all the fathers. It was nice. Good cake, too.

IN THE END –
This was a fantastic vacation. Stacey and Joe have a great place to relax all year round. That’s right, all year round. They snowmobile in the winter. And I’ve been invited to try that as well. I can’t wait.

Part I can be found here. Part II, here. Part III, here.

No comments: