Monday, June 25, 2007

Wisconsin Vacation (Part II)


(Continued from Part I)

ON THE LAKE –
I had never really been out on a boat before. Sure, I’d been on the boat ride in Branson as a kid where pirates attacked, but that hardly counts as a real boat ride – the pirates weren’t even scary. This boat ride was one of the most calm and relaxing hours I’ve ever spent on a vacation. We just cruised around the lake – Stacey, Joe, Grandma, Grandpa, and I – taking in the lake, the shore, and the setting sun. If I had to pick a best moment of the entire vacation, it would be this leisurely cruise. Joe kicked up the speed at the end of the ride and I couldn’t get the smile off my face.

The day before we left the cottage, I went out in the boat as the spotter while Beth, Colby, Justin, Anneka, Cierra, and Rachel went tubing. I’d never seen anyone go tubing before. It’s as simple as tying an inner tube to the back of a boat and speeding off across the lake. And it couldn’t have looked like more fun to me. After watching the gang take multiple rides – and a few spills – across the lake, I knew I had to get out there and try. We docked long enough for me to run up to the cottage and change into my swim trunks. Picking up Steve as the new spotter and Stacey as the new driver, Beth, Colby, Joe, and I were ready for some tubing.


At least, I was as ready as a newbie could be - having never tubed before or have any real grasp on swimming/water skills. Let’s just thank Moses I had a life jacket on. I think I lasted a bit over five minutes before I managed to flip over and get drug under water upside-down. It wasn’t right away after flipping over and into the water that I remembered the one rule of tubing: let go of the tube if you flip over. Bobbing in the water as Stacey attempted to pick me up, I was able to clearly hear Steve yelling, “I got you on video! I got you on video!” Sure enough, he did. It’s a pretty good video of me riding the tube, flipping the tube, and then trying so hard to get rescued. At least I was smiling. And it was fun. Next time I’ll do better. Next time.

Oh, and that first stretch of tubing was the time out in the sun that resulted in my impressive sunburn. A perfect half circle of burn on my forehead from wearing my ball cap backwards.


ONE THE BIKES –
I did manage to get two bike rides in – not counting that disaster of a ride the first day. For these rides, we put the bikes on the back of Steve’s vehicle, and drove the mile up to the paved road to start. The first ride was with Steve and Colby, and it was a windy one. The temps were in the low 60’s, but with the wind it was a little cool starting out. Once warmed up I felt good. I remember telling Steve that my almost 500 miles of training must have done me some good. We rode a loop around Spirit Lake and stopped by the grocery store in Rib Lake (pop. 881) to pick up three bags of miniature candy bars - we were running low. It was 19.14 miles at 14.1 mph. The second ride was just Steve and I. We rode around the lake again, without the stop in Rib Lake. It was a little cooler, low 50’s, but not nearly as windy. I just never found my zone. It felt tough for me, be we managed the 15.15 miles at 16 mph. All in all, a couple of great bike rides were squeezed in.

(Continued in Part III)

2 comments:

Midnight Sprinter said...

To avoid your half moon problems in the future you should invest in a fitted cap. It will mitigate your problems by only burning half of your forehead for a nice horizon look as opposed to a moon.

Escape Pirate said...

Yeah, but it's near-impossible to find a fitted cap large enough for my massive melon.

I could also just leave my cap right-way on, too.